Experience the latest 5G mmWave technology for a strong internet connection, fast downloads, quick app responses, and ground-breaking speeds.
5G mmWave: Low Latency for Mobile
In this article
- What is 5G mmWave?
- Who Benefits from 5G mmWave?
- What is the range of 5G mmWave?
- Unlocked for ultimate flexibility
- Work outdoors and in crowded areas
What is 5G mmWave?
5G mmWave (millimeter wave) expands 5G technology to improve the user experience with greater capacity, multi-gigabit internet speeds, and low latency, especially in crowded WiFi areas. These expanded capabilities, offered on the Nighthawk® M6 Pro WiFi 6E hotspot, are ideal for businesses and consumers to use for video conferencing in real time, online gaming, downloading large files, and sharing critical and highly sensitive data.
Who Benefits from 5G mmWave?
5G mmWave technology is suitable for a wide range of use cases, including:
- Social media influencers who require an ultra-fast connection to stream content, anywhere
- Gamers desiring ultra-low latencies for a lag-free online gaming experience
- Professionals looking for a temporary high-speed connection for video distribution at events
- Businesses, such as food trucks, needing a secure, reliable internet connection to make sales
- First responders needing a strong internet connection to stay in contact with each other during emergencies
- Consumers looking for a wireless connection at “fibre-speeds” for apartments and homes in densely populated cities
- AR/VR applications in sporting events, education, or healthcare
- Difference between 5G mmWave and 5G Sub-6 GHz
- Compared to the 5G Sub-6 GHz frequency bands widely available today, 5G mmWave delivers more bandwidth, faster WiFi speeds, and minimal delay when using heavy-data processing apps such as HD video. It has a shorter, more concentrated range that can only be accessed close to the tower, limiting the ability to penetrate walls*. 5G mmWave delivers better performance in crowded areas with a large number of WiFi users, such as outdoor festivals, construction areas, stadiums, and other public, urban spaces.
The next-generation technology after 4G LTE, 5G Sub-6 GHz allows users to experience the 5G higher performance and improved efficiency where mmWave is not available. It also has a longer range than 5G mmWave which allows the signal to easily reach inside buildings.
With the Nighthawk M6 Pro that supports both 5G mmWave and Sub-6 GHz, users can enjoy all the advantages of 5G mmWave (where coverage is available) and seamlessly switch to 5G Sub-6 GHz and 4G LTE for full coverage when on the go or inside buildings.
5G-Sub-6 GHz: A balance between performance and range.
5G mmWave: Multi-gigabit speeds with lower latency at short range.
What is the range of 5G mmWave?
5G mmWave operates on a higher frequency with a shorter range up to 1 km (0.62 miles), which limits the ability for the signal to penetrate buildings. This means the hotspot needs to be close to the 5G mmWave tower with minimal obstruction.
When using your Nighthawk M6 Pro, it is recommended to place it as close to a window as possible and in line of sight of the 5G mmWave tower to get the best signal. Conversely, accessing the 5G Sub-6 GHz signal is not dependent on where your Nighthawk M6 Pro is positioned.
Unlocked for ultimate flexibility
Nighthawk M6 Pro is unlocked, giving you the freedom to select the carrier of your choice. Simply get a SIM card and data plan that meets your needs. Traveling internationally? No sweat. M6 Pro supports international roaming in up to 125 countries.
Work outdoors and in crowded areas
5G mmWave technology gives M6 Pro greatly improved performance and reliability in tricky outdoor spaces and crowded areas where interference used to be a problem.